Driving has many entrenched risks that the driver ought to reduce insofar as possible. These increase in the case of heavy goods transport. Therefore, truck drivers shall bear in mind a series of recommendations that will be really useful on a daily basis:
- As a general tip, the first thing you have to take into account is that you need a high level of attention on the road at all times. In fact, most road accidents are caused by one-time distractions.
- Pay special attention to road signs affecting heavy-duty trucks: permitted height, restriction signs, notices, etc.
- Avoid overtaking vehicles in curves and hills where there is reduced visibility. In addition, be careful when driving on uneven surfaces, through tunnels and on bridges.
- Remember that some vehicles require keeping a greater safety distance, particularly 50 metres for vehicles with MAM exceeding 3,500 kg and for vehicles or vehicle combinations with length exceeding 10 metres.
- Prepare the truck for the route you are going to cover. Check its condition on a regular basis and take everything you may need: water, food, torch, first aid kit, etc.
- In order to make the best use possible of fuel, you are recommended to reach your target speed gradually, avoiding sudden changes. Respect the speed limit and avoid driving at the maximum speed the truck attains; that will be another essential aspect.
- Last but not least, take an 8-hour rest the night before you cover any considerably long route. This will give you peace of mind during your trip and will provide you with confidence and comfort while driving.