Driving efficiently provides more advantages in itself than we actually think. This is an ideal tool for drivers and companies to improve competitiveness. But, what does efficient driving exactly mean? This involves a series of adequate techniques to be adopted by drivers when they are in route and they depend on both internal and external situations affecting the vehicle.
It is essential for truck drivers to apply these measures in their daily routine, since not only will they reduce the cost of fuel, which could be reduced up to 10%, but they will also be very beneficial to them. We will now analyse some key factors to keep up efficient driving in commercial vehicles:
- Considering the engine of the vehicle. Knowing its power will help us adapt to it. In addition, it is recommended that vehicles are started without stepping on the accelerator and waiting for one minute.
- Gear change. Gear change should be made at the engine RPM for peak torque, i.e., in the green area on the tachometer.
- Skipping gears. Gears may be skipped both in the acceleration and deceleration process, if necessary.
- Keeping an even speed. The best thing is to avoid speeding up and braking all the time. It is also recommendable to make the most of the vehicle’s momentum.
- When stopping or parking the car for more than two minutes, the best thing is to turn the engine off. However, for those vehicles depending on their engine for similar services, it is recommended not to turn it off.
- Foreseeing and anticipating traffic. To do this, it is essential to keep a safety distance with the car in front of you to avoid slamming on the brakes unnecessarily and, therefore, jeopardising your safety.
- And last, but not least, having a good attitude when driving in order to optimise your driving style.